Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Simpsons - 17x05 - Marge's Son Poisoning

    At the closing of a boardwalk amusement park, Homer buys a dumbbell, and exercises one arm until it's huge.  Moe uses him to arm wrestle in order to win bets.  Marge buys a tandem bike.  Bart feels sorry for her loneliness, and starts biking with her to a tea house.
    I don't feel like I can give a fair evaluation of this episode.  For some reason, I've seen the first half of it several times, but I don't think I had ever seen the second half.  I liked Homer's plot.  I'm a fan of variations in the character design, like the arm.  Bart's story was a bit more awkward.  I don't care much about the relationship between Bart and Marge, but I usually don't object to them.  In this case, it seemed like a bit of a stretch to get Bart into tea service setups.
    I think I liked the karaoke stuff.  But the use of that plot to make Marge re-evaluate their relationship also seemed stretched.
    Finally, the music in the episode was strange.  I liked Skinner and Agnes singing Ebony and Ivory.  I didn't like Bart and Marge singing Sweet Home Alabama (although that could be because of my distaste for the song).  Finally, when the bullies announce that they were going to sing My Sharona, I was really excited about that.  When we finally see it, it's more dull than it should be.
    Still, watching this was like seeing a long-lost episode….because it was.  I've seen every episode, usually several times.  To find one that I don't know well is very surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment