Saturday, November 10, 2012

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - 3x01-3x02 - The Crystal Empire, Parts 1 & 2

    Twilight is tasked with helping Cadence and Shining Armor save the Crystal Empire.  This involves going to a land no one knows anything about, and figuring out how to strengthen their defenses.
    I've been looking forward to the 3rd season for awhile.  And I'm really, really looking forward to the next episode - Pinkie Pie clones herself!  But this two-parter was really pretty good.  In fact, I'd rank it above the two parter that closed out last season.
    I have a few mild complaints.  I don't think I care for using Cadence and Shining Armor again so soon.  The characters don't have too much to offer.  I thought that Rainbow Dash wasn't acting normal during this episode.  And I have one technical complaint - during the bit where Twilight has her 'nightmare' about Princess Celestia failing her, there's an establishing shot of Canterlot.  This is an effort to lie to the viewer.  I don't think I would care about it, except that it was clear that it wasn't a real event.  I also kind of wish that we would get to see Fluttershy beat Rainbow Dash at the joust.
    But there's a lot of good stuff going on in the episode.  Everything Pinkie does is great - especially her disguise as Fluttershy.  The songs aren't spectacular, but they are good.  And the episode gets a song to close out the episode in a very satisfactory way.
    It's a strong opening for the third season.

No comments:

Post a Comment