Wednesday, November 21, 2012

American Dad - 8x04 - American Stepdad

    When Stan's stepfather dies, his mother moves in.  This means that Roger has to move out of the attic.  Roger comes up with an identity, and gets married to Stan's mother.    Meanwhile, Steve and his friends come across an airplane crash, and find a copy of a script for Fast & Furious 7.
    I didn't care too much about all of the stepfather/stepson bonding stuff, but this episode featured a lot of surreal visual gags.  Rolling out of one side of the frame to enter on the opposite side.  Recursive visuals, like looking at a picture of something, zooming out to see the same picture.  These gags are hard to explain, but when you see them, they are amazing to see them pulled off.
    I actually liked Stan's story a lot.  I think I saw the first Fast & Furious movie.  I don't remember anything about it.  But I loved the way that this fictional script was written.  And I found the homoeroticism of car racing to be a fantastic angle.  And the visual gag with the studio executive was just wonderfully bizarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment