Friday, September 7, 2012

The Walking Dead - 2x01 - What Lies Ahead

    After leaving the CDC, everyone goes on a road trip to Fort Benning.  Sophia winds up getting lost in the woods, and everyone looks for her.
    I have a lot of concerns about this TV series.  After watching the first season during broadcast, I found that I liked the show much more when I watched it on Blu-ray.  With this season, I couldn't finish watching it during broadcast.  I've picked up the Blu-ray, and I'm hoping that it'll be better this time through, and compel me to finish watching the season.
    This episode was a real mix.  I love the first half of the episode.  Stopping on the road, letting the dead wander by, even the scene with T-Dog getting cut was really good.  Then, once Sophia gets lost, the episode starts to lose the edge it had.
    There's a long scene between Andrea and Dale, which exemplifies a lot of what I don't like about this show.  In the comic, both of these characters are excellent.  Some of my favorites.  In this, their personalities are just a mess.  Andrea is far more pushy, and…she's just not the same character.  Dale isn't the same either.  In this, he's much more weak-willed, and when he talks up, he's annoying.
    I liked the scene in the church, but then they have to give people monologues where they talk to God.  That seemed like a cheap shortcut to developing characters more fully.
    And the episode ends on a nice cliffhanger, with Carl getting shot.  This happens in the comic as well, and it's a pretty good device to introducing Herschel and his group.
    I often think that this episode represents what Darabont had started to achieve in his work on the second season, and it indicates that AMC made a massive mistake by letting him go.

No comments:

Post a Comment