Friday, September 28, 2012

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - 2x08 - The Mysterious Mare Do Well

    Rainbow Dash starts getting overly prideful in her heroics, but is eventually challenged as the most popular heroine when a masked, silent heroine arrives and outshines Rainbow's efforts.
    I always feel a bit conflicted about Rainbow Dash.  I've never cared for her too much, since she's just too cocky.  While this episode addresses that, I don't feel like she changed that much.  I think the episode that best developed her character was Read It and Weep, which gave her a little more of a personal weakness.
    So an entire episode built around Rainbow being overly self-centered isn't terribly exciting.  Luckily, the heroics of the story help make everything fun.  The music is completely different than the show usually uses, and adopting the cliches of superhero movies (and TV shows) made everything much more fun.  The biggest problem of the episode is just that there isn't enough going on with the other characters to give them many moments.

    Also, the ending is very predictable.  The first time I saw it, I saw the ending coming very early on, even before they started hinting toward it.

No comments:

Post a Comment