Thursday, September 20, 2012

Futurama - 7x13 - Naturama

    The characters of Futurama are portrayed in the context of a nature documentary, first in a sequence about salmon, then about tortoises, then seals.
    I had some mixed feelings about this one.  For a three-part episode, it's a surprisingly novel approach.  The first segment plays fairly well, and it moves quickly.  It focuses heavily on Fry and Leela, and has plenty of nice, quick gags.  The second focuses on the Professor and Mom.  Then the third focuses on Kif and Amy.  And that's where it goes wrong.  The last segment isn't right.  The first has the legitimate romantic angle.  The second is a funny romance, one that we aren't terribly invested in, but it has comedic value.  This third one is not a relationship that I feel invested in.  Kif is a good guy, but Amy doesn't have much character to feel strongly about.
    The character designs are great.  The first act has the cute designs, but I was especially happy about the Professor as a tortoise.  And I liked seeing Leela as a bird.  Something about a cyclops bird seemed very…right.
    I'm glad that Futurama is trying more things, but the show feels like it lost direction once Fry and Leela got together.  I suppose I should get used to "more wacky, less egghead."

    (A note - I forgot to write anything about 31st Century Fox, the second-to-last episode of this season.  I did watch it, but it was weeks ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment