Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Simpsons - 22x12 - Homer the Father

    Homer gets obsessed with an 80s sitcom called Thicker Than Waters, and Bart wants to get a mini-bike.  When Homer doesn't come through with the bike, Bart agrees to sell nuclear secrets to China to get the bike.
    I don't care too much about the Bart storyline, although I think it nicely augments Homer's story.  There's something I really like about Homer's story.  There's something very charming about getting obsessively interested in old TV shows that are so far off the air that no one cares about them anymore.  It's a surprisingly positive pursuit for Homer.
    I suppose it's a pretty clear why this would resonate with me - I'm the one watching a forgotten Ray Bradbury show, Night Gallery, and Mission: Impossible episodes.
    The Bart story stretches the credulity of this episode.  It's still enjoyable, but it's the sort of episode where a toned down Bart story could have resulted in a really classic episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment