Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Simpsons - 25x08 - To Cur With Love

    Homer doesn't really care about Santa's Little Helper.  While the rest of the family bugs him about this, Grandpa sits down to relate a story about Homer's relationship with Bongo, his childhood dog.
    I had some mixed feelings about this, but I lean toward thinking this was a pretty weak episode.
    I've gotten a little more annoyed with some flashback episodes, mostly because they've done enough of them that they have broken some of the continuity more than they should have.  Some of these changes I don't mind.  For some reason, The Blunder Years has never bothered me much.  But this one directly conflicts with some of the information we've learned about Homer's mother.  And Chief Wiggum used to work as a security guard at Burn's Germ Warfare lab.  In this, despite taking place at the same approximate time, he's working for Animal Control.
    These aren't things I normally care about.  But when the episode is this weak, it's all I have to focus on.
    I don't think I care about Homer's relationship with Bongo either.  Their relationship was more cartoony, and didn't seem have the real moments that are needed to pay off when we reach the emotional shot at the end.
    Which brings me to that.  It isn't as powerful as it could be.  Futurama has the episode Jurassic Bark, which never appealed to me until I had a dog.  But this seems like such a watered down version of that.
    The AV Club also pointed out that Bart has a stronger, and more emotional relationship with Santa's Little Helper.  This is true, in the strangest way.

No comments:

Post a Comment