Thursday, December 13, 2012

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - 3x07 - Wonderbolts Academy

    Rainbow Dash gets to attend the Wonderbolts academy for training.
    I occasionally get a little weepy at a few of the MLP episodes.  Somehow though, I was a bit teary at the end of this one.  This was a huge surprise for me, since I don't really like Rainbow Dash much.  In fact, I had recently been complaining about the lack of development for her.  They finally gave her a weakness, but the problem is that she already has overcome it.
    There's plenty of fun animation, and most of the episode is packed with flying.  The story follows a predictable arc - training is hard, but Rainbow rises to the task.  There's another pony who is in tight competition with her.  I was expecting the episode to end in a slightly different way, but it pulled together for a wonderful closing.  This hasn't made Rainbow into my favorite or anything, but she has gone up in my estimation.
    I think they should have explored her desire to be "cool" a little more though.  This is an obvious weakness that they could have exploited for the episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment