Monday, December 10, 2012

The Simpsons - 24x07 - The Day the Earth Stood Cool

    Homer meets a hipster guy who runs a doughnut truck.  He's impressed with how cool he is, and gets him to move in next door.  While Lisa likes the hipster lifestyle, Marge really doesn't like it.
    This was one of the most straight and solid episodes they've done in a long time.  It actually reminds me a little of the older, second or third season episodes.  There aren't any secondary stories.  There are running gags, but everyone has an arc that is tied in to the main story.
    There was also the shortest opening sequence I've seen in a long time.  I've been getting a little more annoyed with some of the longer opening gags, and it came as a pleasure to see it jump straight into a story.  They even had a segment going over the credits at the end!
    There's a lot of humor to be mined from hipsters, and the only thing I thought was out of place was Marge being uncomfortable with breastfeeding.  The fact that she mentions that she fed Lisa for 9 months seemed like a very peculiar way of balancing out the message that the episode sent.
    My favorite line - "Not only do I like Van Halen, but I think they keep getting better!"

No comments:

Post a Comment