Sunday, July 1, 2012

Falling Skies - 2x01 - Worlds Apart

    About three months after the end of the first season, Tom rejoins the resistance.  The episode is a mix of the resistance trying to continue moving, and Tom's flashbacks, detailing what happened to him while in alien captivity.

    Since I haven't written about Falling Skies before, I think I need to explain my feelings about the show.  It's not a great show.  It's actually pretty bad.  But it's compelling.  And that's where the problem is; I have no idea what it is that keeps me watching it.
    I watched the first season pretty quickly.  Then after it finished, I didn't care about the cliffhanger, and I forgot about the show.  It felt like a long time before the second season got started, so I actually assumed it had been cancelled.  No big loss.
    The show is mostly a disappointment.  A decent premise, but it's not being handled well.  We get a bunch of characters that are hard to care about.  They go through emotional arcs that feel unearned.  Their efforts at hiding from the aliens seem to be minimal at best, and outrageously dumb at other times.  The writing veers into areas that make me cringe.
    But I keep coming back to it!

    This episode was a bit better than usual.  I enjoyed getting to see Tom's alien experience.  There was a bit more violence than usual, seeing a bunch of people gunned down.  The writing didn't bother me as much in this episode.
    I did have an issue with the lack of foresight that everyone seemed to have.  Tom came back from being a captive of the aliens.  It seems obvious that he should be handled carefully, and Tom himself should be aware of this, that he shouldn't be exposed to any secret plans.

    Also, every episode usually has an obstacle that the resistance has to overcome.  In this case, it has to do with the heat given off by their cars.  It's not a bad problem, but it felt like they were trying to wedge it into this episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment