Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Ray Bradbury Theater - 2x04 - Gotcha!

    I bought the complete series of Ray Bradbury Theater on a whim.  I believe the price for the whole series was around $9 on DVD.  I hadn't heard of it before, but reading a little about it implied that it was pretty close to Twilight Zone.  I like Ray Bradbury's work, so it seemed worthwhile.
    The DVDs are cheap.  The menu design is junk.  The episodes are really compressed - there are over 10 episodes on the first disc (I'm doing this from memory, but I think there are something like either 13 or 18 episodes on that first disc) and each episode seems to range from 23-30 minutes.

    I was a little puzzled by this episode once I finished it, but I think I just needed a little more clarification.  The story has stuck with me, and I think it's an important one.

    A couple meets, they fall in love.  It's an idyllic relationship.  Eventually, the woman says that she wants to play a game called Gotcha.  While he never explicitly agrees, he's willing to follow her.
    They go to a cheap motel.  He changes into some silk pajamas that she's brought for him, during which she makes reference to a Chinese funeral.  We clearly get a sense that she's planning on killing him.
    She moves the bed to the middle of the room, and has some candles lit up.  She explains the rules to him.  He's not to leave the bed, and he isn't supposed to talk or make noise for the next half hour.  She sets a clock nearby to count down the half hour.  Right as the timer starts, she disappears from the front of the bed.
    For the next half hour, odd things happen.  Candles sputter out, the shower turns on in the bathroom, steaming the room.  A light in the bathroom starts flickering.  At one point, the woman appears and asks how he likes the game, immediately followed by demanding that he not speak.
    The tension builds.  Eventually, the man sees the ceiling fan transform into a very creepy version of the woman, which swoops down and chokes him.
    At that point, the alarm goes off, and the woman jumps up from the end of the bed, and she says "Gotcha!"
    The man breaks down, and starts crying.  She doesn't really understand.

    There's another scene after this, but it only serves to indicate that their relationship is ruined.

    I've detailed this episode more extensively than I normally would.

    The game just destroyed the sense of security and trust he felt with her.  While she thought the game would provide a fun scare, he found it truly frightening.  Combined with her inability to understand his reaction, it's a very sad story about a relationship that can't possibly work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment