Saturday, April 26, 2014

Big Bang Theory... I love and hate you.

I've watched almost every episode of Big Bang Theory.  I think I may have missed one or two, but it's not the kind of show where missing an episode makes a big difference.

There are lots of complaints out there about the pseudo-nerd culture they exhibit.

I agree with this.  I like seeing reference to cultural touchstones that I already enjoy - although I think the show has had a strange fascination with DC characters.

The problem with this is that there isn't much substance to these points.  They're fleeting, and they're often used as an excuse to give Penny an opportunity to make fun of the others for being interested in these things.

I'm okay with that.  I don't like it that much, but I can deal with it.

This last episode bothered me a little more.
The problem was that no one was nice to anyone else.  The best it got was the passive response of Leonard.  Everyone expressed contempt for one another, which hurts my feelings for the show.

I know there's a lot of thought about Seinfeld being a bunch of terrible people in the city.  Except they're not.  They don't hate each other.  Their humor is rarely ever based on the personal attacks that come with Big Bang Theory.

Honestly, I can't tell why I watch Big Bang Theory.  Maybe once an episode or so, there will be a moment or two that I like, but in the meantime, it seems mean-spirited.

No comments:

Post a Comment