Thursday, November 20, 2014

Darknet

This show was suggested by Netflix, since I tend to watch just about any horror I can, and I especially like horror anthology shows.

And holy cow, it's probably one of the best - if not the best horror anthology I've seen.

Production values are strong.  The stories are polished.  One of the weaknesses that many of the older horror anthologies have is that they tend to rely on lots of exposition.  This show rarely does anything like that.  Almost everything is shown.

Each episode is usually woven together from a few stories.  Usually the stories connect in some way, sometimes they don't.  The connections aren't obvious either.  They play around with chronology as well.

Performances are generally good.  I haven't noticed anyone that was actually bad.

As I was watching it, I was thinking it would be really great to have a little more crossover between episodes.  Then in the last episode - they do this.  They bring back a bunch of characters from the earlier episodes.

The sense of horror is a little different.  It's an unpredictable show.  Usually there's at least one twist, sometimes more, but I don't know how much material I actually found scary.  Of course, I don't know how much I find anything scary now.

I'm very, very impressed with this show, and I hope it gets picked up for a second season.  As long as they can keep the quality and structure intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment